Welcome to the home page of CDIndexer. Simply put, CDIndexer is a
tool that catalogues the contents of backup CD/DVDs and allows you
to search again later to find out which disk contains the file/folder
for which you are looking. It is my hope that CDIndexer is not "yet
another cataloguing tool" but rather offers some powerful features
that will make it very handy. With that, lets look at some of the
- Indexes stored in a relational database.
- User can create categories for indexed volumes & browse volume
contents after cataloguing.
- Browse & search ZIP archives like ordinary folders.
- Browse & search file meta information.
- media file tags (music, movies, images)
- document metadata (anything installed in Windows XP like Microsoft
Office files, Adobe PDFs, etc)
- Import/export indexes to share collections with friends.
- Metadata extraction for multimedia files & documents. Metadata
extractor also interfaces with the Windows XP metadata engine.
- Indexing within ZIP archives.
- Can specify volume creation date for correct volume ordering by
date in user categories.
- Explorer-style volume browsing where ZIP archives are placed in
the directory tree along with folders. This allows easy access to
- Category and volume drag & drop for convenient database reordering.
- Per-volume user comments.
- Per-volume loan information if CD is lent to someone.
- File & folder names.
- File sizes & dates.
- Search within metadata fields (title, author, artist, etc).
- View which CDs are loaned out.
- View which CDs have user comments.
- Preserve categorisation when exporting.
- Add a user comments to the export.
- Secure the export with 3DES encryption.
- Export activity stored in windows application log (if supported).
- Compress exports to minimal size.
Tai Lucas, 2006
tlucas at users.sourceforge.net